A statewide strike organised by the Nigeria Labour Congress is set to start on August 2, 2023.
Our correspondent learned that the congress stated it could not fold its arms while Nigerians continued to experience the impacts of subsidy removal, which has resulted in immense misery, despite the fact that a court injunction prohibiting the congress from going on strike in June still exists.
According to news reports, the Tinubu administration sued organised labour earlier in June to avert a strike after the initial elimination of the subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit, more commonly known as petrol.
Although the government established a committee to communicate with organised labour, representatives of the Trade Union Congress and the NLC claimed the committee had not successfully initiate a discussion with workers.
Speaking with news men , the national treasurer of the NLC, Hakeem Ambali, said, “Yes. We issued a seven-day ultimatum to the Federal Government to conclude all negotiations with labour or face industrial action yesterday by the Central Working Committee.”
An NLC representative had told news media that the congress would convene on Tuesday and consider the best course of action.
A national strike would be called if the government failed to abide by the ultimatum.
Joe Ajaero, the national president of the NLC, has not yet made an official statement on the situation or responded to our correspondent’s questions about it.
Another national representative stated that the public would soon be informed of further initiatives.