In a fire that damaged the one-story building housing their orphanage/motherless kids home in the Aguda neighbourhood of Lagos State on Sunday, seven children narrowly avoided death.
The house fire is believed to have started in the home’s air conditioner as a result of a power surge on Sunday afternoon.
The seven children—all boys—were saved by LASEMA officials who responded to the home’s fire incident, according to a statement published early on Monday by Mr. Nosa Okunbor, Head of the Agency’s Public Affairs Unit.
The one-story structure where the home is located, according to the statement, is at No. 7 Wole Madariola St., just off Enitan Kusimo Street in Aguda, Lagos.
“A one-storey building housing an orphanage/motherless babies home was engulfed by fire which reportedly started from an air conditioning unit in the house as a result of power surge which was said to have quickly spread out.
“A total of seven boys with ages ranging between one and seven years were quickly evacuated from the home and safely relocated to the compound opposite the home.
“Management team of the home informed LASEMA of plans to relocate the children to the house of the owner of the home temporarily, to ensure their welfare was sustained.
“The fire which had initially spread to the storage room of the home has been extinguished with dampening down concluded.
“Post disaster assessment revealed that the whole of the first floor was salvaged, while the fire was contained in the store room and the rest of the ground floor was also salvaged,” LASEMA said.
According to the organisation, the kids were formally turned over to the Red Cross by representatives of the Lagos State Ministry of Youth and Social Development’s Child Protection Unit.
The operation was successfully completed in a record amount of time, according to LASEMA, which added that no injuries or casualties were reported in the close call.