A newborn baby girl found in a rubbish receptacle in Port Harcourt, Rivers state, has been rescued.
The baby, who had been abandoned by unknown people, was rescued in the early hours of Friday by vigilantes led by Godstime Ihunwo, Chief Security Officer, Nkpolu Oroworukwo Community, Mile 3, Diobu Vigilante.
“Around 3 a.m. this (Friday) morning, while on routine patrol, I discovered a newborn baby, likely less than 6 hours old,” Ihumwo said. The infant and placenta were covered in clothing.
“I rescued the child and immediately called a female nurse for urgent medical attention. Upon inspection by the nurse, the baby was discovered to be female.
“I called Prince Wiro, a Human Rights Activist who immediately came to my office and accompanied me to the Nkpolu Police Station to make formal entry.
“I appeal to the Rivers State Government to prevail on contractors in charge of Ikwerre Road street lights to ensure they are always on at night. We have discovered they are switched off some nights”.
Prince Wiro, journalist and Coordinator, Centre for Basic Rights Protection and Accountability Campaign, who joined in the rescue of the baby admonished young women who give birth to unwanted babies to seek help by approaching relevant government agencies or civil society groups rather than throwing away the baby.
According to Abike Dabiri-Erewa, head of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM), Nigerian universities are promising to admit Sudanese students going home.
Dabiri-Erewa stated this on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Thursday.
While she maintained that the priority at the moment was the safe return of the stranded students, she assured that, as with Ukraine returnees, the continuation of their education would not be a problem.
“We did it with Ukraine, when they came back, there were plans to continue education for them,” Dabiri-Erewa said.
“Although the medical students among them had issues because they found out that the level of their medical school was not even as high as that of Nigeria so it was difficult to place them where they wanted. But, yes, the Ministry of foreign affairs actually created a division for that and ensured that those who wanted to continue their education did. A lot of them wanted to go back.
“Let them (the ones from Sudan) come back, let us receive them safely and then we take it. In fact, universities are already offering and have reached out to us that when they do come back and they want to continue their education, they should contact them, so all that shouldn’t be a problem at all.
“I think the number one problem is that you cannot be talking about continuing your education if you’re not safe so our focus and our anxiety is that all Nigerian students come back.
“President Buhari has approved funds so everything is done 24/7. So the first thing for us at this point in time is for them to reunite with their families. The issue of education shouldn’t be a problem.” She said
According to NAN, over 5,500 Nigerians schooling in war-torn Sudan are among the first batches of Nigerian citizens being evacuated from the troubled country.
Israel Mobolaji Adesanya, a Nigerian-New Zealand professional mixed martial artist, has set his sights on his next opponent.
Prior to his final fight against Derek Brunson at UFC 285 last month, Dricus du Plessis caused quite a stir with his remarks about African champions.
Before explaining what an African champion will be like if he wins the Middleweight title, Du Plessis asked if any UFC champions had ever visited Africa.
The comments irritated former UFC Welterweight Kamaru Usman and current Middleweight kingpin Adesanya, despite the fact that both were born in Nigeria.
Adesanya explained why he wanted the fight to be in South Africa where Du Plessis is from.
He said, “I tried to do the fight in South Africa, but apparently it might not work.
“But again, I told UFC President Dana White, You guys beat COVID before any other big sporting league got on the field or on the court, you guys did that. You can do anything.
“I still believe they can. I want to do it in South Africa or somewhere in Africa. [du Plessis] thinks they’re going to have his back.
“It’s only the product of him that’s going to have his back. He doesn’t understand who I am.
“Like I said, he’s created division. I don’t like that. He didn’t have to do that. He didn’t have to do that.
Olabisi Abubakar, 42, of Cardiff, Nigeria, is on trial in the United Kingdom on two counts of manslaughter and child abuse in connection with the death of her three-year-old son, Taiwo Abubakar.
According to Mail Online, Olabisi, who is suspected of killing her three-year-old kid through religious fasting, claimed authorities she “locked herself away” during the COVID-19 outbreak.
She is being prosecuted at Cardiff Crown Court, where it was revealed that on June 29, 2020, police forced entrance into her flat in the Cathays area after a friend expressed worry for her welfare.
Olabisi, who was thin, malnourished and dehydrated, was found lying on a sofa bed next to the body of her son, Taiwo.
Cardiff Crown Court heard Taiwo weighed 9.8 kilos (22 pounds), with pathologist Dr Stephen Leadbetter finding his death was caused by malnutrition and dehydration.
The court heard Olabisi was sectioned on June 30, 2020 and has remained detained in hospital, where she is being treated for paranoid schizophrenia, Mail Online says.
The prosecutor, Peter Donnison, told the court that Olabisi was deemed fit for police interview in October 2020 and was interviewed by officers on eight occasions.
In one interview, according to Donnison, Olabisi described “the effect on her of the pressures of not having help, fearing coronavirus for herself and her child, and her immigration status.”
Mr Donnison said: “She described them as depressing. She said she was a religious woman and prayed to God and believed he had heard her and answered prayers and kept them safe.
“She had been taking her child out daily but she had to stop doing that due to the coronavirus. She described herself as locking herself away due to the coronavirus and her neighbour.”
Olabisi had been having issues with a neighbour at the property she was living at in Cwmdare Street, Cardiff, and was an asylum seeker.
The court was told that she is a devout Pentecostal Christian and fasts as part of her faith.
Prosecutors allege that Olabisi caused her young son to fast of both food and water along with her, due to fears over the coronavirus pandemic and personal pressures, according to Mail Online.
However, in police interviews Olabisi repeatedly denied this and said children should not fast until the age of 12.
Mr Donnison said: “She said she would dry fast when she wanted to speak to God and hear something from God.
“She said her child did not fast, he did eat, and she gave him food to eat.”
She told police she had fallen asleep on June 26 and believed she had gone to heaven before being brought back to life when her neighbour and police officers arrived.
Donnison said: “Olabisi Abubakar said she couldn’t explain what happened to her. She was asleep on the bed and that is what she remembered last. She said she believed she was being punished by God.”
In a police interview, Olabisi said: “I saw myself among the dead in heaven. I was saying, ‘I don’t want to die’. Then I saw the angels of God and they brought me back to life.”
The court heard a series of facts agreed by the prosecution and defence in the trial, read by Mr Donnison.
This included evidence that health visitors saw Olabisi and Taiwo before the pandemic and had no concerns, including in relation to her religion and religious practices.
They were not seen by healthcare professionals during the COVID-19 lockdown.
In February 2020, a police officer was called to a noise complaint by Olabisi’s neighbour and attended her room, which he described as “clean and warm”.
Taiwo was seen playing loudly and appeared “very energetic” and healthy, Mr Donnison said.
Police searched the property after Taiwo’s body was discovered on June 29 and found a note on food in a fridge, stating: “Do not touch anything, whooping cough, virus, save yourself.”
According to Mail Online, Olabisi penned a series of messages while in an ambulance and a hospital, indicating that she was “very hungry” and “can’t stand up” and that Taiwo was dead.
“I don’t eat, I can’t cook, and I can’t go out and buy food because of the coronavirus,” Olabisi told a police officer in the hospital.
Doctors discovered Olabisi was suffering from delusions and sectioned her under the Mental Health Act 1983 on June 30, 2020, with her confinement in hospital continuing while she receives treatment.
Kenya announced on Thursday that one of the country’s most prominent pastors would face charges for the “mass killing of his followers” just days after the discovery of dozens more remains tied to another church.
The head of the New Life Prayer Centre and Church, Ezekiel Odero, “has been arrested and is being processed to face criminal charges related to the mass killing of his followers,” stated Interior Minister Kithure Kindiki in a statement.
“The aforementioned church has been closed. Over 100 persons who were holed up at the location have been removed and will be forced to record statements,” he added.
Odero’s arrest comes on the heels of an ongoing investigation into Paul Mackenzie Nthenge, the cult leader accused of the deaths of 98 people linked to his church.
Police have not linked the two cases, and authorities have not provided further details about the nature of the allegations against Odero or his church.
Odero, dressed in his signature all-white garb and clutching a Bible, was transferred from the coastal town of Malindi where his church is headquartered to the regional police headquarters in Mombasa for questioning.
A wealthy televangelist who draws huge crowds — his church south of Malindi can seat 40,000 — Odero claims that “holy” scraps of cloth sold at his mega-rallies can heal sickness.
The government had promised a crackdown on fringe religious denominations after the discovery of dozens of bodies over the past week on a property near Malindi belonging to Nthenge.
The taxi driver-turned-preacher is accused of urging his followers to starve themselves to death as a path to God in a case that shocked the nation.
At least 22 people have been arrested over the gruesome saga so far.
More than half the bodies unearthed by investigators were of children, and police fear the death toll could rise as their search widens.
Kindiki had described the case as “the clearest abuse of the constitutionally enshrined human right to freedom of worship.”
But efforts to regulate Kenya’s dizzying array of churches and ministries have failed in the past, despite high-profile incidents of cults and rogue pastors being involved in crime.
Questions have emerged about how Nthenge was able to preach despite attracting police attention six years ago.
He was detained in 2017 on allegations of “radicalisation” after advising families not to send their children to school, claiming that the Bible does not recognize education.
According to local media, Nthenge was detained again last month after two toddlers died of starvation while in the hands of their parents.
He was released on 100,000 Kenyan shillings ($700) bail after a raid on his farm in the Shakahola forest turned up bodies.
On May 2, Nthenge is scheduled to appear in court.A Kenyan pastor has been charged with’mass murdering’ church members.
Padlocks are now being placed on the graves of their late daughters in Pakistan to keep them from being raped by some criminal individuals.
According to a research, necrophilia instances are on the rise in the country, and on Thursday, some social media users, including activists and authors, addressed the issue once more.
According to First Post, one such user, Harris Sultan, an ex-Muslim Atheist campaigner and author of “The Curse of God, Why I Left Islam,” blamed extreme Islamist philosophy for such heinous deeds.
“Pakistan has created such a horny, sexually frustrated society that people are now putting padlocks on the graves of their daughters to prevent them from getting raped. When you link the burqa with rape, it follows you to the grave,” Sultan tweeted on Wednesday.
Another Twitter user Sajid Yousaf Shah wrote, “The social environment created by #Pakistan has given rise to a sexually charged and repressed society, where some people have resorted to locking their daughter’s graves to protect them from sexual violence. Such a connection between rape and an individual’s clothing only leads to a path filled with grief and despair.”
Women’s bodies have been unearthed and desecrated on several occasions in the past.
The scariest necrophilia case ever reported in Pakistan was in 2011 when a grave keeper named Muhammad Rizwan from North Nazimabad, Karachi was arrested after he confessed to raping 48 female corpses. Rizwan was caught running away after desecrating a corpse. He had caught the attention of nearby grave diggers and some other people.
Most recently in May 2022, some unknown men dug out the corpse of a teenage girl and raped it in the Chak Kamala village in Gujrat, Pakistan. This occurred on the same night the family had buried the deceased.
According to reports, the tragic act was discovered when the deceased girl’s relatives attended the burial the following morning in accordance with their religious traditions. The kin discovered the body dug up and exposed. Rape marks were found on the body.
In 2021, some unknown guys committed a similar barbarous act in Maulvi Ashraf Chandio’s village near Ghulamullah.
In 2020, A man was arrested on February 28 after being caught red-handed raping a corpse of a woman in a graveyard in Punjab, Pakistan. The incident occurred in Okara City in the Punjab province. The accused was identified by his first name, Ashraf.
In 2019, a woman’s dead body was allegedly dug up and raped by unidentified men in Karachi’s Landhi Town. The woman was buried in Ismail Goth Graveyard.
One day after she was buried, the woman’s body was discovered. The graveyard’s custodian informed the deceased’s family that a dog had removed the stone that covered the grave.
In 2013, the body of a 15-year-old girl was discovered outside her grave in Gujranwala, where she had allegedly been sexually raped.
Following this occurrence, Pakistan’s then-chief minister of Punjab, Shahbaz Sharif, demanded an immediate investigation. According to reports, the case is still pending.
President Muhammadu Buhari has arrived for the 2023 Trooping and Presentation of Colours Parade of the Nigerian Army.
The retired army general wore a ceremonial military outfit.
Buhari arrived at Eagle Square, the parade’s location, with his Chief of Staff, Prof Ibrahim Gambari.
In attendance were the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Lucky Irabor; the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya and the Inspector-General of Police Usman Baba.
Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Oladayo Amao; Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Awwal Zubairu Gambo, Senate President Ahmad Lawan were also among the dignitaries in attendance.
The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has said that President Muhammadu Buhari’s sins against Nigerians are unforgivable.
IPOB announced this in a statement on Wednesday in response to Buhari’s request for forgiveness from Nigerians he had wronged during his presidency.
According to IPOB spokesperson Emma Powerful, the Buhari demand was a “disgraceful statement.”
The group also said if Buhari relocates to Niger Republic as he said, his atrocities will find him out.
“To us in IPOB, his (Buhari) sins are unpardonable, and we don’t care if he relocates to Mars or Jupiter instead of Niger Republic with his generation,” the statement read in parts.
“He still won’t be saved from his atrocities. His crimes will find him out by the time he finishes relocating.”
“How will the people of Benue, Plateau, Southern Kaduna,Yorubas, and many other indigenous nations in Nigeria who have been massacred by the Nigerian government imported terrorists from Sahel forgive him?” IPOB asked.
President Muhammadu Buhari, swore in six new permanent secretaries in the Federal Civil Service on Wednesday at the Council Chambers of the State House in Abuja.
The swearing-in, which took place between 10:05 and 10:30 a.m., came just before the start of this week’s Federal Executive Council meeting.
The appointees and their states of origin are: Mahmud Kambari (Borno State), Esuabana Nko-Asanye (Cross River), Lamuwa Ibrahim (Gombe), (Yakubu Kofar-Mata (Kano), Oloruntola Michael (Ogun) and Richard Pheelangwah (Taraba State).
While reading the citation of the new officers, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, said the event marked the culmination of a weeks-long prequalification exercise for directors by the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation.
“Mr President, six persons have fulfilled the conditions as permanent secretaries after a selection exercise recently conducted for directors.
“This exercise involved competency tests and interactions with a wide range of stakeholders,” he said.
The swearing-in comes barely one month after Buhari approved their appointments.
On March 29, 2023, the Head of Civil of the Federation, Dr Folashade Yemi-Esan, announced that the President approved the appointment of the six permanent secretaries in the Federal Civil Service following the recently conducted selection process.
Afterwards, the Federal Executive Council began in earnest with the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, Head of Civil Service, Dr Folashade Yemi-Esan, the President’s Chief of Staff, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari and National Security Adviser, Maj-Gen. Babagana Monguno (retd.) in attendance.
Also present are the Ministers of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola; Science and Technology, Olorunimbe Mamora; Finance, Zainab Ahmed; Transportation, Mu’azu Sambo; Agriculture, Mohammed Abubakar; Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire; Information, Lai Mohammed; Mines and Steel Development, Olamilekan Adegbite; Communication and Digital Economy, Prof. Isa Pantami; Sports, Sunday Dare, amongst others.
Meanwhile, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo is in the United States, where he gave a special lecture at the University of Pennsylvania arguing for a just energy transition for Africa in the face of climate change.
He is likely to return to Abuja later on Wednesday.